Sara Miller Caldicott, great grandniece of Thomas Edison and author of the new book Midnight Lunch, has translated Edison’s world-changing innovation methods for use in the 21st century. Here are some of her thoughts on collaboration:
True collaboration embraces:
- A discovery learning mindset versus a pure task orientation
- A belief in anticipating and creating rather than merely reacting and responding
- Presence of inspiration across multiple facets of both individual and team endeavors
- Coherence of purpose
- A dedication to elevating the performance of every team member
- Connections to human and social networks of influence
Do these qualities sound different from the ones valued by your team? Do they draw upon ideas that feel new or seem broader than your current concept of what teamwork embraces?
Based on experience, the answer would be yes.
So what are you going to do about it?
Caldicott has developed a series of 12 worksheets so your team can integrate its project work with true collaboration concepts in her new book, Midnight Lunch: The 4 Phases of Team Collaboration Success, from Thomas Edison’s Lab.
Why not integrate these worksheets into a weekly learning exercise with your team?
Download all the worksheets here:
Read more from Sarah Miller Caldicott here.